Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Clothbound Classics

Since I'm sitting in the study commons at my university, I thought maybe a more academic post would be fitting. Actually, it's not really very academic. Literature professors do love to throw them into the curriculum however: the classics. I like to pick one up myself without having to thoroughly analyze the story till it becomes just a bunch of words on the page that symbolize something else entirely! During my travels, I bought the book A Game of Hide and Seek by Elizabeth Taylor (not the actress!). This is isn't a classic but I loved the book cover: original and cloth-bound. The 'classic' discovery I made was at anthroplogie.com. These Penguin classics have abandoned the traditional dust jackets and have donned embossed canvas covers. Aren't they pretty?!

2 comments:

Fleur-de-Lis said...

oh, i loved this article! As i'm a book addicted.. well, i would love to have some of these magnificent editions! Usually i only find the classic ones with the black cover, and sometimes older editions with leather engraved covers.
They are gorgeours anyway ^^ but yours are even more cute

CITY MOUSE said...

Hey! I found a store in Barcelona where they have bags that look like these books! you would love em! ugh forgot the name! i'll let you know!