Sunday, December 6, 2009

Sinterklaas and Ginger Snaps!

So it is December 6th and it is the feast of St. Nicholas. This reminds me of when I was in grade three. One of my best friends was Dutch and in Holland, Sinterklaas was a very important fellow. His feast day has become a very important Dutch tradition and young and old alike celebrate by making gifts and writing teasing poems and hiding them for the recipients to find. It is also a day for eating traditional Dutch goodies!

In grade three we celebrated at school and I remember finding ginger snaps in my shoes and around the class room. So celebrate the day of Sinterklaas! Sing some Dutch rhymes about the bishop and do-gooder with the long white beard and eat some of these ginger snaps! Just click on the picture of the one you like best to find out where these delectable snaps are! Curious about ol' St. Nick? Go ahead! Click on his picture.



No comments: